Prevention of Arrhythmia
Prevention of Arrhythmia. The physicians at Atrial Fibrillation Center Of America pride themselves as being advocates for patient needs and have established their practice as an example of the highest quality arrhythmia care available. Our mission is to develop strong patient-doctor clinical relationships to be able to deliver the best possible personalized care. We believe our patient services are the finest available and offer the following.
Atrial Fibrillation Prevention
Following treatment, your doctor at Atrial Fibrillation Center may recommend a program of lifestyle changes and personal routine to keep your heart in top shape. These lifestyle habits apply as well to those with healthy hearts looking for tips to prevent the arrhythmia from starting in the first place. Ongoing health maintenance and arrhythmia prevention include the following:
Atrial Fibrillation Prevention guidelines:
- Follow all instructions given by your doctor regarding medications and follow-up visits.
- Report any changes in your symptoms or any problems you are experiencing to your doctor.
- If you are a smoker, set a goal to stop. If you need help to accomplish this, talk with your doctor about strategies and medications designed to break the habit.
- It is important to develop an exercise program to increase physical activity.
- Make it a point to eat heart-healthy meals. Plan meals loaded with fruits, vegetable, and whole grain and limit your intake of salt and solid fats.
- You should limit the amount of alcohol you consume. As a rule of thumb, limit drinks to two drinks per day for women of all ages and men up to age 65 and one drink per day for men over age 65. Again, discuss the use of alcohol with your doctor.
- Watch your diet and maintain a healthy weight. If you are overweight, begin a program of weight loss.
- You should establish a goal of maintaining proper levels of blood pressure and cholesterol. It is important to continue with any prescribed medications designed to manage these important health factors.
Preventions and management of arrhythmias is an important goal for everyone and, in particular, those who either have or are prone to develop the condition. Regular follow-ups with the doctors and staff at Houston Heart Rhythm, managing your lifestyle choices, and monitoring any changes in symptoms are all important steps for maintaining your best health possible. Our doctors are on the cutting edge of arrhythmia research and treatment and are your best source for management and preventions of your arrhythmia.